Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Look at me, Caristy, I actually tried the challenge! :)

OK, so I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing with my camera on this challenge! :) Now, I don't have a tripod and my F-stop only goes to 8, so my best pictures are a little different than yours, Caristy. It took me forever to weed through the photos. (I took a couple hundred photos!) Oh, another thing - in addition to not having a tripod, I'm a little lazy when it comes to playing with my camera (especially when it's midnight), so these were taken with me sitting in a chair, not changing my position, with a light on in the "dining" room, which is a ways away so it's not completely dark. (Caristy, your tree is decorated so pretty - I had a little help from 4 munchkins, so there wasn't a particular ornament I really wanted to zoom in on!) So, here are my results:

Focal Length: 16.4 mm
F-Number: F/5.6
Exposure Time: 1.3 sec.
(I like the way the lights look like little stars.)
Focal Length: 12.9mm
F-Number: F/5.6
Exposure Time: 3/5 sec.
Focal Length: 8.4 mm
F-Number: F/8
Exposure Time: 1 sec.
(I know it's not completely in focus, but I kinda like the whole tree view with the "twinkling" lights.)And, just for fun:

Focal Length: 72 mm
F-Number: F/5
Exposure Time: 1/60 sec.
Focal Length: 72 mm
F-Number: F/3.5
Exposure Time: 1/20 sec.
Focal Length: 72 mm
F-Number: F/3.5
Exposure Time: 1/25 sec.
Focal Length: 18.6
F-Number: F/4.5
Exposure Time: 4/5 sec.
(Tried this one after reading how to do it on a thread specifically about my camera.)

5 comments:

CJ Olson said...

I love, love, love your pictures!! Great JOB!!

Rachel said...

Thanks, Caristy. It was fun. And I did learn about the camera - well, for the time being anyway. They look SO much better than just taking "regular" (lazy, amateur) photos either in the dark or with the flash. And boy, do my lights look better in the pic than in real life! :) The night mode actually did a decent job, but when I fine-tuned it they turned out better.

CJ Olson said...

What I need to figure out is how to write your name when you are doing the last picture! I just learned that you can do that!

Rachel said...

Caristy, do you mean the signature? Go to www.mylivesignature.com (I think) - it's pretty neat! You'll have to make it the light gray one to show up here - I just copy the signature html code from my blog and paste it over here.

CJ Olson said...

Nope....didn't mean that! I meant I need to figure out how to write my name with all the pretty squiggles that you had in the last picture! I will however check out the signature thingy.....